Monday, November 5, 2007

#7 Getting a meal

News flash... there is an awful lot of cr*p on the WWW version 1.0, version 2.0 or version 3.0 with sprinkles... and a lot of people duplicating text by posting whole articles from news sites on their blogs... why not just make a link, people might be interested on other things at the source site anyway....

Using an RSS feed search tool just gives you a series of possibly interesting articles on blogs etc but an individual blogger may rant and range over multiple topics


What I find more useful is Google Alerts search which runs a specific search each day or week over news, blogs etc and then e-mails me any changes ie new news which I can then link to for my other blogs. I target specific news eg umpires and football, umpires and VFL, digital reference, MFHDs etc. from a huge range of sources.

Topix offers this as well (without the e-mail) and I have set up an RSS feed for digital reference

At the start of the 2006 football season I created an account on Ebsco host and have it do the same thing each week across that database. Saves scanning the papers and journals, easy to get bib. data for citations, great way to summarise the news.

Sphere: Related Content
 
Add to Technorati Favorites